In my graphic novel I’ve created a concept called “fragments”, kind of inspired by all those movies where you realise that everything is connected. Bruce Lee, Mohammed Ali, Stan Lee. Heeeeeeheeeeee. Really just finding a way to make sense of all that silly stuff I imagined when I wasn’t feeling very well.
In my graphic novel, I’m trying to depict characters that appear in pop-culture and use them to illustrate the notion that there are “fragments” that exist and jump from body to body. So I did a little bit of research into some people I’d like to put in my story and I just came across this??? It’s structure is so Shakespearian, which is hilarious because who knew Shakespearian-esque literature could be so0o0 ghetto? It’s not written in iambic pentameter or anything but the … how do I describe it? The sort of narrative essence of these rules for Bloods and Crips – is reflected in the archetypes of Shakespeare.
Also I think it’s quite powerful and forward thinking – to take ownership of words that have historically been used to subjugate you as an individual. Actually that is also Shakespearian.
>> stolen from here <<
CODE OF THUG LIFE
“I didn’t create T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E., I diagnosed it.” – Tupac Shakur.
In 1992 at the ‘Truc Picnic’ in Cali, Tupac was instrumental in getting rival members of the Crips and Bloods to sign the Code Of THUG LIFE.
He and Mutulu Shakur had helped write up the ‘code’ , with help from other ‘og’s’.
The Code of THUG LIFE is listed here. It details do’s and don”ts for being a righteous thug and banger.
Code OF THUG LIFE:
1. All new Jacks to the game must know: a) He’s going to get rich. b) He’s going to jail. c) He’s going to die.
2. Crew Leaders: You are responsible for legal/financial payment commitments to crew members; your word must be your bond.
3. One crew’s rat is every crew’s rat. Rats are now like a disease; sooner or later we all get it; and they should too.
4. Crew leader and posse should select a diplomat, and should work ways to settle disputes. In unity, there is strength!
5. Car jacking in our Hood is against the Code.
6. Slinging to children is against the Code.
7. Having children slinging is against the Code.
8. No slinging in schools.
9. Since the rat Nicky Barnes opened his mouth; ratting has become accepted by some. We’re not having it.
10. Snitches is outta here.
11. The Boys in Blue don’t run nothing; we do. Control the Hood, and make it safe for squares.
12. No slinging to pregnant Sisters. That’s baby killing; that’s genocide!
13. Know your target, who’s the real enemy.
14. Civilians are not a target and should be spared.
15. Harm to children will not be forgiven.
16. Attacking someone’s home where their family is known to reside, must be altered or checked.
17. Senseless brutality and rape must stop.
18. Our old folks must not be abused.
19. Respect our Sisters. Respect our Brothers.
20. Sisters in the Life must be respected if they respect themselves.
21. Military disputes concerning business areas within the community must be handled professionally and not on the block.
22. No shooting at parties.
23. Concerts and parties are neutral territories; no shooting!
24. Know the Code; it’s for everyone.
25. Be a real ruff neck. Be down with the code of the Thug Life.
26. Protect yourself at all times..
Some other Interpretations:
Thug Life means – The Hate U Gave Lil” Infants Fucks Everyone.
NIGGA means – Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished.
OUTLAW stands for ”Operating Under Thug Laws As Warriors”
MOB stands for Member Of Bloods and /or Money Over Bitches